Servings: 8

Weight Watcher Smart Points: 0

Preparation Time: 40 Minutes

Cooking Time: 20 Minutes

Ready In: 720 Minutes


  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 egg white (optional)
  • 1¼ cups (190 grams) raisins
  • 4 grams (0.14 ounces or about ½ teaspoon) salt


  1. The night before you make the soaker and biga.Mix everything together in a small bowl for a minute until it forms a ball
  2. Cover and leave at room temperature for 12 – 24 hours
  3. If you want to leave it longer than that, you can also leave it refrigerated for up to three days
  4. Just bring it to room temperature before using.Mix everything together in a small bowl for a minute until it forms a ball and then knead it for two minutes
  5. The dough will be tacky
  6. If you need more flour, only add it a teaspoon at a time
  7. Let the dough rest for five minutes and then knead with wet hands for one more minute
  8. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours - 3 days
  9. Bring to room temperature before using.Dissolve the yeast in the water
  10. Then add the soaker and biga (each chopped or pinched into 12 pieces) and the salt and cinnamon.Mix and knead for about 5 minutes until well integrated.Add the whole wheat flour (starting off with 3 tablespoons - I only used 4 in total).Knead 5 – 7 minutes until you have a stiff but supple dough
  11. Form the dough into a ball, and then let it rest covered with a kitchen towel for 5 minutes and then knead for another minute
  12. The dough should be supple, satiny, and pass the windowpane test
  13. To do that, pinch off a small piece and stretch it slowly apart, pulling and rotating it gently so that it stretches into a thin, translucent membrane
  14. If it tears easily, continue kneading for a few more minutes and then try the test again.After the dough has passed the windowpane test, add the raisins.I just kneaded it about 30 seconds until they were thoroughly combined
  15. Form the dough into a ball and swirl it around a bowl that has been covered / sprayed with oil
  16. Cover and let rise for 45 – 60 minutes until it’s 1½ times the original size.Divide into 8 equal pieces
  17. For me, that was 130 grams each
  18. There are more professional ways out there, but what I do is to form the 130 gram piece into a ball
  19. Put your thumb through the middle and form into bagel shape
  20. Make the hole bigger than you really want it because they’ll grow… a little
  21. I would make my holes smaller next time
  22. Put the bagels on a Silpat or an oil-sprayed parchment-lined pan cover loosely.Preheat your oven to 500°F / 260°C
  23. Fill a wide pot with 4 inches of water and bring it to a boil
  24. When it starts boiling, add 2 teaspoons of baking soda (it will foam up)
  25. The time between shaping the bagels and putting them in the boiling water should not be longer than 20 minutes
  26. If you wait that long, they might rise and then collapse
  27. With your hands, carefully place the bagels in the boiling water
  28. I could only fit three in my pot
  29. Boil for 1 minute on each side
  30. Then take them out with a slotted spoon, drain them and then place on a Silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet.When they’ve all been boiled, brush with a beaten egg white
  31. Put the baking sheet in the oven and then lower the temperature to 450°F / 230°C, and bake them for 7 minutes
  32. Rotate the pan and then bake for 7 more minutes until they are a nice golden brown
  33. If you want to be absolutely sure that they’re done, I say rip one open and look
  34. Mine were quite brown before the 14 minutes were up, but thought that they were just right after 14 minutes.Enjoy! I think they’re best on the first day, but after that they’re wonderful toasted.

Leave a Comment